From Synfig Studio :: Documentation
This page is for FOSS (free software and open source software) related to synfig or art in some way.
- 1 2D Animation
- 2 3D Animation
- 3 Motion Capture
- 4 Raster Image Manipulation
- 5 Vector Image Manipulation
- 6 Video editing
- 7 Lipsyncing
- 8 Programming/API's
- 9 Realtime/VJ tools
- 10 Utilities
- 11 Subtitle editors
- 12 Video Players
- 13 Sound Editing/Recording
- 14 Sound libraries
- 15 Script writing software
- 16 Other sources of software
- 17 Live Distro's with Synfig
- 18 Information
- Synfig - vector based 2D animation (this project!)
- KToon - Pixel-based 2D animation, similar layout to ToonBoom Studio
- pencil - software for traditional hand-drawn animation (both vector & raster)
- Uira - Flash clone, sourceforge project closed 2008-01-13
- F4L - Flash for Linux, a Flash clone.
- Animata - Still images bone rigged for 2D and 3D animation.
- Processing - Programming language (based on Java) and enviroment for images, animation and interactions. (2D and 3D).
- blender - 3D modelling and animation
- aqsis - 3D renderer, Renderman compatible
- k-3d - 3D modelling, animation, rendering
- sharp3d - Opensource version of Zbrush, integrated onto Blender
- Pantograph Vector renderer
Raster Image Manipulation
- GIMP - GNU image manipulation program
- the iwrap deformation tool can create (crude) animations
- layers can be saved as animated .gif
- GAP - GIMP Animation Plugin
- cinepaint - a GIMP fork used for motion picture frame-by-frame retouching
- Alchemy - software for sketching or drawing using a computer
Vector Image Manipulation
- inkscape - SVG-based vector graphics, animation capability scheduled for Milestone 20 - Inkscape 0.54
- xaralx - vector graphic program
- Freshmeat Category: Non-Linear Video Editor
- Cinelerra - Video editor and compositor
- jahshaka - Video and film compositing, editing and special fx system
- Kdenlive - Free and open-source video editor for GNU/Linux and FreeBSD
- stopmotion - create stop-motion movies
- frameworks - Stop-motion frame capture
- DIVA - Defunct linux video editor
- Natron - Free open-source, cross-platform compositing software. It aims to produce visual effects.
- pitivi - Open source video editor.
- positron - Windows based NLE, last release 2006
- cuisine - NLE, last updated 2004ish.
- Kino - Linux NLE
- Kino plus- Plugins for Kino
- Lives - Linux NLE video editing software
- AviSynth 3.0 - Windows and Linux video post-production, a powerful frameserver
- jlipsync - Java based Lip sync program. Allows users to align phoneme key frame shapes to an audio track. Output to a shot sheet or AVI file (convert the AVI to a series of PNG files and import them into Synfig for added fun!)
- papagayo python based lipsync program. Allows export to Anime studio, or contact genete to import into Synfig ;)
- amanith - An OpenSource C++ CrossPlatform framework designed for 2d & 3d vector graphics.
- effectv - Real-time video effector
- freej - Real-time video manipulation, available on the Dynebolic distribution.
- veejay - Visual instrument and realtime video sampler.
- Dv backup- Utility to back up data to DV tape.
- LVS - Video capture software for Linux, last updated 2002
- mjpegtools - Tools for video capture and editing under linux
- theora - Video compression format
- DVR - Digital video recorder, last updated 2007.
- bakasub - Subtitling software for Linux, last updated in 1999
- gsubedit - Subtitle Editor (Gnome)
- ksubeditor - Subtitle Editor (KDE)
- freshmeat - Freshmeat video player category
- mplayer - Multi platform video player (windows/linux/mac)
- xine - Linux video player
- vlc - Multi platform video player (windows/linux/mac)
- Freshmeat Sound/Audio category
- Ardour - Audio editing software, runs on Linux and MacOsX. Friendly Gui.
- Audacity - Cross platform audio editing software (windows/linux) Also exports MP3's.
Script writing software
- CeltX - Cross platform, multilanguaje software for the entire pre-production process
- Scriptwriter - Cross platform software for writing scripts for movies/tv.
- Blyte - Open source software (abandonware, really) script writing software.
Other sources of software
- www.freshmeat.net - Open source software repository
- www.sourceforge.net - Open source software repository
- packages.debian.org - Packages for debian
- packages.ubuntu.com - packages for ubuntu
- www.rpmfind.net - packages for Redhat
Live Distro's with Synfig
- ubuntustudio - releases and support like Ubuntu, compatible with the ubuntu software repositories, but geared to more creative types.
Please note, old software is perfectly fine to use :) It may not support newer hardware though.
- http://www.robfisher.net/video/ - Linux video information