Meta:Writing Press Releases
Press Releases (PR) for Synfig - discussion draft -
General Rules for PRs
- put first things first
- clear language (no insider talk, try to use words understood by everyone)
- tell one story only
- if ever possible tell an interesting story (well, probably not possible for a „new release“ PR)
- real news, up-to-date (no PR about an „old“ story)
- facts: any numbers etc.?
- It is a PR about our products, yes, but stick with the facts, no promotional writing.
- Be perfect in the first place... (no chance to send a second PR about the same...)
- all together less than a page (letter or A4)
- do not use „I“, „you“, „we“
- abbreviations only when explained before
Decision on whether or not a PR will find its way into the next relaese of the magazine is been taken in about 10 sec. You have to use this time carefully. Be crisp clear about what you have to say... The Headline matters! The longer it takes to find out what the PR is all about the worse.
Important: name of the product and a clarification on what kind of product this is, maybe the journalist needs to forward this to a colleague (e.g. animation software is handled by someone that takes care of Multimedia...). You might also use a subline (that is the line directly below the headline, also just 1 line)
- New Version of 2D Animation Software Synfig Released
- Synfig 2D Animation Software now supports German Language
- Synfig 2D Animation Software adds new, long awaited functions
Lead – answer the important questions
You survived the „Headline Hurdle“, good... now you have to give more information in just a few words. The reader is still having very little time to listen to you. The „Lead“ helps you with that. Ever had a look into a newspaper? (I guess you had ;-) ) The part below headline/subline... that is it: the lead. Just the facts in a few words or sentences.
If you don't like to miss out any important points ask yourself the following questions:
- Who? (has done)
- And maybe: How many?
Maybe you don't need all of them, pick the most important ones.
Put first things first! The important messages should be told in the beginning!
- Synfig Project released the new version of their 2D Animation Software on June 1st.(so that is an answer to: Who? What? When?)
For journalists in software business you need to add more information about the features and functions. Because that's what they and their readers care about the most...
- Synfig Studio is now available in 2 more languages, got an improved import for SVG images and has some new usability features.
More details about functions and features have to be told first. Again: put first things first: Tell the most important functions and features first. That is meant from the user view!
Always add the information that this is free and open source software and platforms supported. Also where to get more information and where to download.
Add the Synfig logo.
You might as well add information thereafter about backgrounds, quality improvements or other information not directly connected to the product (such as new website...). The journalist will use this in case he/she wants to addd more information.
Some pictures/screen shots might be helpful.
Add a standard backgrounder about the Synfig Project and the Synfig Products.
It should contain information about company behind the product and the project behind the product. The way of the product from individually owned to open source. Numbers (if available downloads …) and future plans. It should of course include a link to www.synfig.org.
This backgrounder can be reused in all PR s.
Add contact information (person not just website or forum!).
Based on an articles at: