Canvas Properties Dialog
This Canvas Properties dialog is used to establish the properties of the current main canvas. If you have defined the SYNFIG_ENABLE_NEW_CANVAS_EDIT_PROPERTIES environment variable, then this will automatically be displayed when you start a new project. To change these parameters while working on a project, go to the caret menu, select 'edit' and then 'properties'. Or you can alternatively use the keyboard shortcut F8.
In the main dialog you can set:
- Canvas Info:
In the Image tab you can set:
- Image Size
- Width - set width of render in pixels.
- Height - set height of render in pixels.
- - Toggle button to fix pixel ratio.
- XRes - set horizontal resolution of render.
- YRes - set vertical resolution of render.
- - Toggle button to fix resolution ratio.
- Physical Width - set physical printing size of render. (Calculated from Width/XRes).
- Physical Height - set physical printing size of render. (Calculated from Height/YRes).
- Label displaying the current pixel ratio
- Image Area - sets the portion of the workarea to be rendered.
- Top Left X:/Y: - set where in the workarea top left of render starts.
- Bottom Right X:/Y: - set where in the workarea bottom right of render starts.
- Image Span - (?)
Changing Canvas origin
Par default, the origin (the point with x = 0 and y = 0 coordinate) for new created Canvas is set visually to the center. Adjusting the "Top Left (x,y)" and "Bottom Right (x, y)" coordinate without changing the difference between the two point (the vector), you can translate the Canvas origin.
Origin to Top Left Corner
Starting from the upper Image Area example, if you want to set the origin to the top left corner, in Canvas Properties Dialog set "Image Area" "Top Left" x and y to 0 and "Bottom Right" x to 8 and y 4,5
- new_bottom_right_x = ABS(old_top_left_x) + old_bottom_right_x
- new_bottom_right_y = old_top_left_y + ABS(old_bottom_right_y)
In the Time tab you can set:
- Time Info:
- Frames per second
- Start Time (seconds)
- End Time (seconds)
- Duration (seconds)
In the Other tab you can set:
- Locks and Links:
- Image Width
- Image Height
- Image Aspect
- Image Span
- Pixel Width
- Pixel Height
- Pixel Aspect
- Focus Point
Resizing the Canvas
In the Other tab, uncheck all of the Locks and Links:
Then edit Image Width and Height. This will resize the canvas, stretching it's contents in the process.
Expanding the Canvas
In the Other tab, check only Pixel Aspect in Locks and Links:
Then edit Image Width and Height. This will expand the canvas, keeping it's contents at the same size but adding extra space at the top/bottom and left/right.
Please note that since this dialog caused confusion, even among some very experienced people, here are some unofficial thoughts about image dimensions.